Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Lost In The Ozone

This is where I have been for the last week or so. My dog, my daughter's really, has been recovering from surgery and it's been hard. Hard to watch, hard to deal with, hard to pay for. All that and more. She had a toe removed. There was a cancerous growth that literally appeared over night. She was supposed to go for dental surgery, but instead this happened.

The doctor, Dr. Sivi (that's shortened) was really terrific. It didn't unnerve him that I was crying when he told me it had to come off, or when he told me it was bad, or that it could re-grow. That she had a good five years left. She would look at me with those eyes and say "what happened? What did I do?" And I would get so sad.

She's a little Maltese named Mitzi and is very smart. She has me completely trained and the funny thing is that I would do anything for her. But I think that is the way with people who love their pets. This is one of the fastest growing sectors in the economy. I read that even when things are bad, people still spend money on their pets. I was out of work once for about a year. I had to quick get a job (thank you art department person who lied to Simon & Schuster that I could proofread) and did proofreading 12 hours a day. My first two paychecks went to my cat who had cancer. I ate potatoes.

Anyone who has had a cat or dog recovering from surgery will be familiar with THE CONE. It hits walls, the floor, sidewalk, you, the water dish. Before they took her bandage off I would take it off while I was home. But at night I couldn't trust her so it went back on. I had no idea how noisy a plastic cone could be during the night. One could say it makes you SLEEPLESS. For five days I probably slept a total of 5 hours. She couldn't get comfortable. Who could with a plastic cone on their head. Truth is, she was a good sport. The stitches came out, the cone came off, and now I have to monitor her closely for a while. And she still has to have her dental surgery.

Wow that was all really depressing! My friend from high school, Carol, came into town from Petaluma, CA with her daughter who is interning at Shakespeare in the Park. I'm hoping for tickets. Spur of the moment last Friday she called me tot say did I want to go see Awake and Sing! - the Clifford Odets play. I was really excited. I haven't seen a play in a long time and this is a classic. Ben Gazzara was the lead, and while I never understood his vocal choice for the old Jewish grandfather, the play bowled me over. The sets were fabulous and the lighting perfect...and there was even a little black dog named Tootsie who was taken to the roof to do her thing. She did not get a curtain call.

This last week has been tough at work too - very demanding and requiring complete focus. I need a vacation, which I am taking soon. NANTUCKET. Been going for a long time. And I have pretty much gone with just my daughter - except for a honeymoon, and a few family trips with #2. But I have a feeling this may be the last summer. As much as she loves it there, it's getting a little old to go with your mother. It would probably help if I went with about $4000 to blow. Counting pennies on vacation isn't much fun. So keep your fingers crossed for Mega Millions. I do.

No one is reading my blog. I've been bloggered. My daughter has lots of hits on hers and seems to have national readership. But she is very funny and really should be a writer or a stand-up comedian. She could do either. She could do anything she wanted. And she makes me very proud.

This was such a tough couple of weeks my IPOD drained. So I'm charging it while I write. There's a song I'm looking for but I can't play it yet to see if it's on there.

I'm tired and I have to be at work early tomorrow. Workmen are coming and they don't work my hours. So I must work theirs.
So I will say what I always say when it gets to this point....

Good night, Gracie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home