Friday, June 16, 2006

EVERYDAY CAN BE AMAZING

Today I blew off work early so I could have that feeling of personal time. I'd had someone organizing my files at home in the morning and I left the airconditioning on all day. It felt great when I walked in.
I won't go into details of how I spent my afternoon. Let's just say it went the way I wanted and the result was that I felt like part of the human race again.
So my dog and I took a little nap and wok up to a phone call from my daughter who is very concerned about her future. I am too but I remain confident that it won't be too long before she is plugged into something she wants. As far as I'm concerned she's way ahead of the game.
After our conversation I realized I needed to go to the grocery store to get dog food...gee, mabye even something for me!
It was ok because I had my radio and was kind of basking in the day. There weren't many people at the store - it was about 6:00 on a Friday - so it didn't take me too long. I got to the checkout and the young woman seemed really unhappy to be there. I decided to see if I could help her change her attitude, so I said "hi how are you today?" she sort of half-smiled and then she noticed the dog food and treats. "Do you have a dog?"
Yes I said. I was buying extra treats because she had just had surgery.
Well that was the watershed moment. She turned her attention to me, while still ringing things up, but now she was engaged. She became a person...a living breathing person with a life. I told her about the operation and then she launched into telling me about her dog, named Prince. An English bull terrier mix...how he had burned himself on the radiator and she had put cream on it...mistake because he licked it and it got infected. The final reveal was that she was working hard hours and going to school so the dog was staying with her mother...She smiled. I love that dog, she said. They are members of the family.
I told her to have a good weekend, and she said the same.
It was so easy to reach out. What was different from that guy on the train? For one, I initiated the conversation. Two, the space was safer. Three it was not about me.

So what about all this? If everyone had a dog there would be no more wars.

Say goodnight, Gracie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home